Feedback, comments, and complaints

If you have something you would like to say to me then please email me at I always welcome constructive feedback on my academic and activist work.

In psychotherapy and psychology people can feel worse before they feel better as the process of personal change and growth can be difficult. Nonetheless you shouldn’t have a poor experience with me or any other professional. If you need to make a complaint then please contact me in the first instance as I hope we can work something out. Most often in areas as emotive as sexuality and gender issues arise simply due to miscommunication and hopefully we can straighten that out so you are heard and your point understood. Even with other, more substantive issues I hope we can understand together what went wrong and try to fix it.

If we’ve tried and you still feel you haven’t got anywhere then for my NHS practice you can contact the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) here: who will help to resolve the issue.

If there is a problem with my practice which we haven’t been able to resolve between us then you can contact the Health and Care Professions Council.

I hope that’s all clear enough. do mail me if you need any assistance.